Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Oliver is alert!!!: Happy Father's day!

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's day!

This is Crazy's 3rd father's day. He's come such a long way.

I don't really cook breakfast foods so Crazy knew he wasn't getting breakfast. :-( He had to go pick up some rice porridge and roast pork for breakfast. Oliver decided he was going to test Crazy's both of our patience this morning. He refused to eat, he would put food in his mouth, chew a bit, then lean over looking for me to hold my hand out so he can spit on. I would watch him out of the corner of my eye as he would lean over and hint to me that I needed to hold my hand out for him to dispose the contents of his mouth. Ugh. He'd do this twice, then I'd take him out of his high chair, he'd stand next to me and beg me to eat and after he ate a few successful bites. He'd convince me to let him back up to his high chair and start the whole process. I would pull him out of the high chair (again) and he would have a fit, throw his big head around. Crazy would say "happy fathers day to me" sarcastically.

After brunch I went to do some bookkeeping work for an acquaintance (Yes I know, I forgot it was father's day when I made the plans). When I got home we did a video chat with the grandparents from KS. Later in the night I gave both boys a haircut, and then Oliver went down without much of a fuss.

Lets talk about Crazy today. He's come such a long way as a father. Before we had Oliver, we avoided kids like the plague. Every time we were at the grocery store and hear a kid screaming, we'd look at each other and mutually think "why doesn't the kid shut up?" Yeah I know, we suck. Anyhow Crazy's last birthday when I was pregnant only showed us what jerks we were. That day we decided to go to the city's modern museum of art. We parked our car and noticed a mother struggling with her 2 kids. We sat in the car because we were both petrified of having to be in the elevator with those screaming kids. So after waiting 5 minutes we noticed she was still doing something or other in the car, so we thought perhaps it was safe. Well low and behold the second we got to the elevator she emerged from the car and headed towards the elevator. When the elevator got there, she went in and Crazy and I decided to walk down the stairs. Let me just say that at 8 months pregnant, walking down steps isn't easy, but it was a better decision than going down that elevator. Sorry, I forgot, we are discussing Crazy's abilities as a father.

When Oliver was born he was petrified of holding him for fear he'd do something to screw him up, what I don't know, but he was petrified of taking care of him. Crazy has come such a long way since the day Oliver was born. If both of us are in the house Crazy will always change the diaper. All I have to do is "smell" it and casually mention it. :-) He is so patient with Oliver, and does all the hard things that I don't want to do. He is always ready to take care of him, make his oatmeal in the morning, read him a book, heat up lunch for him, put him to bed, give him a bath, baby proof the house, and whatever it takes. He even forced me to buy all these things to make Oliver's babyhood a bit more comfortable for him. Yes, "Oliver's mama" was Crazy's idea and boy am I ever so grateful for that purchase.

When I ask Oliver where is papa, he always searches for Crazy and the second he sees him he puts the biggest smile on his face and screams "PAPA!" which is totally heart warming. When we go to daycare to pick him up, he could care less if I was there, he'd run past me and grab Crazy's legs and hug. I love watching the interaction of the two boys, mostly because Crazy can't understand a word Oliver is saying, but pretends like he does. I'll have to tell him what he said (when I can figure it out), but its great to watch the two together. Oliver always wants Crazy to pick him up and carry him around, unfortunately at 30# he's way too heavy for me to carry for any length of the time.

Of any father Oliver could have been born to, he's pretty lucky to have Crazy as a father. I don't think I could have asked for a better person to father my children. As much as I tease him about being Crazy, I really just admire the crazy that is our Crazy. :-) Happy Father's day.

2 Comments:

At June 22, 2009 at 5:39 AM , Anonymous alice said...

happy father's day!!

 
At June 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM , Anonymous g-ma said...

Crazy's dad really enjoyed watching the interaction between Oliver and Crazy. And I loved the book reading. It really brought back memories of when Crazy's dad would read that same book to his little boy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home