Housing crunch
So before we went on vacation Crazy and I put a bid on the townhouse next door to the one we lost. This place was a short sell, unlike the one next door, which was a foreclosure.
Well, even though we put a bid in at asking price, we still got outbid by 30k. The seller and his Realtor decided they would hold out for 25k more than the last bid to present to the bank. I can't say I blame the guy, but if you are going to spend 900k on a house, and that same house is now worth not even half of what you paid, you should just simply walk away. You will never recoup the price you paid for that house, and it was quite simply a bad financial decision to begin with.
So, we are are back where we started. I have a better idea of what I want now. I don't really want a fixer upper, simply because I think the idea of living in a shit pile isn't as alluring to me as it once was. Lets face it, I'm not in college any more and at the rate the market is going, I may not need to live in a shit pile. But I can't stop being frustrated at how slow this entire process is going.
I think when we started this house hunt business, I thought, I'll take a crappy place in a decent location and just fix it up as I go along. The more investigative TV I watch, the more the horrors of old houses scare me. I don't want to throw a bunch of cash at a home, then have to fix it up. It will compromise our lifestyle and the quality of our lives. Living with Oliver is stressful enough as it is, I don't need to add in having a mortgage and setting aside cash to fix up one thing after another.
So as we head into the winter months, wish us luck in finding something.

2 Comments:
I truly agree with you. I had no idea that buying a house was this much stressful. : (
We have been looking for a condo (even a condo!!) for more than a year. Our realtor(s) don't know what they are doing. We are not in hurry, but still looking a good deal for after Singapore!
Yeah, winter would be a good season to buy a house. Good luck guys!!
Good luck! No sense in settling for less than what you want, particularly in this market.
Any chance of going to some auctions. I'm hearing about some really fantastic deals people are getting by showing up with "cash" in hand. Talk to your lender about your options.
Post a Comment
<< Home