Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Oliver is alert!!!: New behaviors

Monday, August 25, 2008

New behaviors

So now that we are 16 months old, we have new really fun behaviors. One of them involves asking for attention and if he does not get it, he will throw his body across your face. The weird thing is he totally knows what he's doing. One painfully early morning I decided to not be grumpy and started to kiss his little belly, afterall, it was over my face. He started laughing and then got off my face and was okay asking for attention, but he gets mad if I invade his space too much. But its hard not to want to kiss him a little too much. :-) Especially when he gets mad.

He wants to be independent. He doesn't want anyone to tell him what to do or direct him to go anywhere. He wants to do things his way and if he doesn't get his way, he throws a tantrum. He's still a bit too young to do a time out, so although he doesn't get his way he lets everyone know he didn't get his way. I mean it. EVERYONE.

He will always try to get into things that he shouldn't get into. At this point if he doesn't get his way he cries. He makes it unbearable and make us not want to take him to the restaurants we used to frequent. Its sad, but very true. We are now trying to find activities during the day, when he's a lot more amendable and not at night because we don't want to torture ourselves. He is beginning to hate being contained. By this I mean the ergo carrier. He gets so pissed he starts crying and throwing a fit if I don't take him out. The other day, we went to the AT&T store to pick up a new phone for Crazy, we were there for over an hour! Yes, if you can imagine it, I put Oliver in the carrier and he just cried and screamed until he gave up and then started again. Ugh. It made my life miserable, and stupid me, I actually left the store so I wouldn't make those people at the store hurry up and make us leave.

He eats just about everything, but he wants to taste it first. If he sees you eating, he will come towards you with a HUGE smile and look you in the eyes, then sit down next to you and then open his mouth all the while staring you in the eyes. He will then open his mouth and the second he sees you moving food his way, he will close his mouth a little so that you can't shove everything in there. Then he will give himself a little taste, then if he likes it, he will open his mouth for more, if he doesn't like it, he will then take it out of his mouth and throw it at the dogs. He's a punk.

Speaking of food and eating. We like to eat sorta spicy, and we know that babies don't really do to well with spice, so we try to limit his access to spicy foods. But one day at Vik's Chaat Corner we offered him some food and didn't realize it was too spicy for him. He started making this noise....imagine pee wee herman. ******Ohhhhhhhhhh******over and over and over again while his mouth was wide open. He wasn't writing in pain, I think the spice just surprised him and that was his reaction. So I ordered him the little potato cake from Vik's, which has no spice but does have veggies. He will eat it after I dip pieces in plain yogurt and will give the old ole ******Ohhhhhhh****** at least twice while eating his potato cake. There's NO spice in there. So the other night, I got me a hankering for a burrito, and after a quick trip to our favorite taco stand, we were seated in our dining room table having our meals. I ordered a burrito for Oliver thinking he could eat the filling. It never occured to me that it was spicy cause I had a taste. Then after eating several spoonfuls, Oliver started the ******OOOOOHHHHHHHH****** noise to which Crazy and I both realized that the burrito was a bit spicy, but the thing is that the kid kept eating it! Anyhoo, Crazy then offered him some cauliflower with chicken sausage from the other night, to which he quickly turned his nose to. So he then started to eat the burrito skin. This kid is going is so darn entertaining.

He still fits in the 9 month onesies without the legs, although I have started to put him in the 18 month onesies for bedtime. By the way, onesies rock! I remember when Oliver was young and Auntie A used ot tell me what my rush was in putting Oliver in pants and shirts, because he would have to wear those the rest of his life. Onesies, he could only wear when he was a baby, and time was running out. So I kept up with the onesies as long as I could, but you have to understand how much pressure is put on a mama at daycare. All the other kids parents dressed them in shirts and pants or skirts, and it was months before I succombed, but damnit, I didn't take full advantage of it.

1 Comments:

At August 26, 2008 at 6:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Auntie A, this kid is getting to be a master at manipulation. Better watch it!

One woman was overheard while taking her child out of a store in similar circumstances: "Too bad, you're stuck with me for the next 18 years!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home